Lewmar vs Beckson opening ports

Previous topic - Next topic

jpaulroberts

I am replacing all of my Beckson oppening ports. They leak around the frames, my lenses are fogged, and the screens are shot. I notice some of the newer boats have Lewmar ports. They cost twice as much. Are they twice as good?
Thanks, Jerry

SteveLyle

1) They leak around the frames because Catalina did a lousy job of sealing them.  I rebedded mine.
2) Plexiglass will fog after 19 years.  Replacement lenses are available from Beckson.  I've replaced mine.  I can tell you they don't 'refog' after 5 years.
3) I expect that screeens are available as well.  I haven't replaced mine, but I bet Beckson can supply them.

The simplest thing would be to keep what you've got and renew the worn out parts.  I doubt the Lewmars are 'plug and play' with the Becksons - meaning that you'll probably have to do some cutting or glassing to get them to fit.

Unlike the early fixed ports, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the Beckson ports, they just get old and need some help.

Stu Jackson

Jerry

I'm sure you've spent the valuable time reading the original posts on your (and our) vintage yacht.

You might have seen this REPLACING BEKSON PORTLIGHTS in the FAQ section:  http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-leakyports.html

I made that tool and it worked.  No leaky Beckson ports on Aquavite.  We have a good supply of the rubber seals on board.  The screens are still fine after 20 years.

Try replicating what hull #223, Chuck Hughes, did with his Becksons.  I saw Chuck's boat seven years ago, and his ports were 13 years old at the time -- he made them look brand new.

Beckson is still in business.  They make good quality products and stand by them.  Our Beckson ports, with their help and materials, have been flawless.

Instead of moving to a different hole in your hull, I recommend that stay with what you have. 

Also in the FAQs:  http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-beckson.html

Also, see this for a picture of what the sketch shows:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3241.0

I think you're asking for lotsa leaks if you make the change.

Plus, the Lewmars also have their own problems, which you can understand by doing a search on Lewmar on this board.  I believe, from what I've read, that the basic Beckson may well exceed the basic Lewmar, perhaps not in looks, but in function.  Aw shucks, just call it pride of ownership, we have eight of 'em,
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Jerry : If your ports look good from the insides and outside, I'd keep what you've got and replace the leaking parts, screens and even the lenses. 
I can already warn you that the inside "trim rings" for the Lewmar ports - STINK!!  In fact you may not even get them when you buy Lewmar side ports - they may be a Catalina item? 
A few thoughts.   :idea:
Ron, Apache #788

captran

ditto- in 6 years I have never been able to get the Lewmar posts to stop leaking despite their recommendations as to fixes! :cry4`
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

David Sanner

When I got my c34 a few of its Lewmar ports were leaking. 
I tightened them and all but two stopped leaking.  Rebedding the
two remaining ports was quick, easy and did the trick.

Just make sure you get enough sealant between the outside flange
and gel coat on the cabin top.  Also the gasket trick helps: lots of
sealant (i used silicon) but don't tighten completely ( ie. don't squeeze out all
the sealant).  After at least 24 hours then do a final tightening... custom gasket.

As far as lewmar vs beckson... I like my lewmar ports better as the seal in the port itself
has never leaked and the latches click into the closed position.  I've replaced the gaskets on
my beckson ports in the aft cabin which has helped but if under/over tightened it can leak.

Has anyone ever replaced the rubber gasket that the lewmar lens seals to when shut?
(good source for parts?  & part number, lens, gasket ... I think they used the same
port from the late eighties through the early 2000's)

It looks like the ports on the c34's built in the last couple of years are slightly more
round than the previous 15 years or so of lewmar ports... if you do go with lewmar
you should check to make sure they fit the openings in the cabin top... especially
since you have beckson ports now.

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

rirvine

One more place to look for leaking lewmar ports.

The outside frames on the ports on my MKII have a join in the center of each end. These joins are held together by a piece of "black" pastic that slides inside each half of the frame.  Over time, the plastic comes away from the frame and allows water inside the outside frame - yes, a very small amount.  The only way out for this water is through a hole on the inside of the frame (behind each latch) into the boat.  The application of some sealant over the outside of the joins in the frame solved the problem.  Now the probelm is to make it look better.

Ray